[Air-L] open-access is the future: boycott locked-down academic journals

Christian Nelson xianknelson at mac.com
Sat Feb 9 11:05:07 PST 2008

Hi danah,
Thanks for your empirical example of the IJOC. But let's be sure
we're comparing apples to apples here. My argument was that
successful scholars won't jump ship to publish in journals where they
and their chums or disciples do not maintain editorial control--i.e.,
journals in which editorial decisions are "open source" as well. Does
the IJOC allow reader commentary on articles? Does it allow readers
to rank the published articles in terms of their value, validity,
etc. of the articles like books are evaluated on Amazon.com? Does it
allow for readers to peruse all articles that were cited in order to
champion those that the editors wrongly relegated to the scrap heap?
If it doesn't do any of these things, its just an online version of
the old journals, and there's nothing special about such a journal
from an intellectual perspective. Sure, they are special in terms of
their economic model, but that's it, and that shouldn't be enough for
folks who are really interested in the open exchange and evaluation
of ideas.
Christian Nelson