[Air-L] open-access is the future: boycott locked-down academic journals

Christian Nelson xianknelson at mac.com
Sat Feb 9 12:31:05 PST 2008

On Feb 9, 2008, at 10:32 AM, Caroline Haythornthwaite wrote:

> This one has prompted me to respond! ... This is such an odd view
> of "powerful academics". It is precisely the "powerful academics",
> aka tenured and/or full Professors, who can afford to go to these
> new venues.

See my response to a recent post about scholars wanting to extend
their reputations into the future.

> Moreover, if work is not getting full play in journals -- because
> of the invisibility and inaccessibilty of print journals or fee-
> based online journals -- then why wouldn't we all flock to online
> publishing to gain the 'power' of widespread access.

Because online publication isn't worth the trouble unless the big
dogs publish there as well.

> So, why don't we? -- because, believe it or not, many of us
> actually have put time and energy into journals -- setting them up,
> reviewing papers, considering the standards of good research,
> argumentation and knowledge, and wanting to make it worth someone
> taking the time to open up a journal, and for those outside our
> discipline to take us seriously as a discipline.

Ever notice that no one outside the field of communication regards it
as something to take seriously. Administrators clearly perceive it as
a dumping ground for students who can't make it in other departments
(the faculty-student ration in most large communication departments
far exceeds that of other departments. And I'd be rich if I had a
nickle for every time someone in another discipline asked me what I
was doing in such a backwater as communication. I'd say there's
nothing to lose in trying something new.

And what proof is there that any of my suggestions of how we should
open our journals to more editorial voices lower standards? CNET.com,
a commercial enterprise whose very survival depends on readers
perceptions of the worth of its content, not only provides readers
with their editors' judgments about the items they review, but also
aggregates the opinions of their readers about those items and even
lets them right long form reviews, many of which I have found more
informative than those provided by the editors. How can more eyeballs
focused on an item, and the free ability to debate an items merit,
LOWER standards. That doesn't make any sense.

Your argument that those presently possessing editorial power are the
only one's capable of keeping up standards is the same argument that
old school, short-sighted, MSM journalists say when they reject
blogers' claims to being journalists as well. The old school folks
support their argument by pointing to the inaccuracies that can be
found in the blogosphere, But this is short-sighted because it not
only ignores examples like Jason Blair or the failure of nearly the
entire MSM journalism community to accurately report on Iraq's
(completely lack of) WMDs and relations with Al Qaeda, but also
ignores the fact that the blogosphere is self-correcting while MSM
journalism is decidedly not. This is also the argument that  all
those old-school, short-sighted academics make about Wikipedia. They
disallow their students from citing Wikipedia, and promulgate the
claim that it is untrustworthy, because of the few instances where
someone has manipulated a Wikipedia entry, without recognizing that
Wikipedia is self-correcting, and fraud is easily detected by simply
clicking on the "History" tab of each entry, while editorially locked-
down encyclopedia's are not self-correcting and provide no such
history file.

> Yes, it is a gatekeeper role, and I'm proud to be part of it as
> should be all others who strive for quality in their work and
> *their* journals.

Wow. That says it all right there. I thought scientific discourse was
supposed to be about the open exchange of ideas. How does gate-
keeping square with that?

Sure, my suggested reforms of the system change would increase the
number of articles published and number of editorial voices hear. But
there are plenty of successful models already in place on the
Internet for filtering through the flood of information on the Internet.

C'mon, doesn't anyone on this list believe in the open exchange of
ideas and the ability of Internet tools and models like Wikipedia to
help people find the truth. Not even the founder of Wikipedia. Gee Whiz.

Christian Nelson