[Air-L] topics in e-activism

Alex Halavais alex at halavais.net
Mon Feb 11 16:34:12 PST 2008

Thanks, Denise. I've added this to the bibliographies on the wiki:

http://wiki.aoir.org/index.php?title=Topical_Bibliographies

Alex

On Feb 11, 2008 7:12 PM, Denise N. Rall <denrall at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Here's some references that were posted earlier on
> this list, many with a SE Asian perspective, but there
> would be plenty here to get going with. This
> literature review would be particularly helpful
> (Garrett) and Jenny Pickerill has done much more
> recent work in this area.
>
> --- Marius Johannessen <marius80 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm about to write an assignment on e-activism for
> > my master's degree, and
>
> It would be kind of you to also share your findings
> back to this list for next person . . . .
>
> Cheers, Denise
>

> Garrett, R. K. (2006).  Protest in an Information
> Society: A Review of Literature on Social Movements
> and New ICTs. Information, Communication and Society,
> 9(2), 202-224.
>
> van de Donk, W., Loader, B., Nixon, P., & D. Rucht
> (Eds.), (2004).  Cyberprotest: New Media, Citizens and
> social movements.  New York: Routledge.
>
> Pickerill, J. (2003). Cyberprotest: Environmental
> activism online. Manchester: Manchester University
> Press.
>

> Myers, D.J. (1994). Communication technology and
> social movements: contributions of computer networks
> to activism. Social Science Computer Review 12 (2),
> 250-260.
>
> Hill, K.A. & Hughes, J.E. (1997). Computer mediated
> communication: the USENET and political communities.
> Political Communications 14, 3-27.
>
> Davis, R. (1999). The web of politics: The Internet's
> impact on the American political system. New York:
> Oxford University Press.
>
> Ferdinand, P. (2000).  The Internet, democracy, and
> democratization, Portland, OR: Frank Cass.
>
> McConnell, S. (2000).  A champion in our midst:
> Lessons learned from  the impacts of NGOs' use of the
> Internet. Electronic Journal on Information
> Systems in Developing Countries, 2(5), 1-15.
>
> Wilhelm, A. (2000). Democracy in the Digital Age. New
> York and London: Routledge.
>
> Abbott, J. P. (2001).  Democracy at internet.asia? The
> Challenges to the Emancipatory Potential of the Net:
> Lessons from China and Malaysia.
> Third World Quarterly, 22(1), 99-114.
>
> Armond, P. (2001). Netwar in the emerald city: WTO
> protest strategy and tactics. In J. Arquilla, and D.
> Ronfeldt (Eds.), Networks and netwars (pp. 201-238).
> Santa Monica, CA: Rand.
>
> Camacho, K. (2001).  The Internet: A tool for social
> change? Elements of a necessary discussion. The
> Project Evaluation of the Social Impact
> of the Internet in Central America: The Case of Civil
> Society Organisation.  Mexico: FLASCO.
>
> Warkentin, C. (2001).  Reshaping World Politics. NGOs,
> the Internet,  and Global Civil Society, Boston:
> Rowman & Littlefield.
>
> Hick, S. & J. McNutt (Eds.), (2002)  Advocacy,
> activism and the Internet.  Community Organization and
> Social Policy, Chicago: Lyceum Books.
>
> Hill, D. T. & K. Sen (2002).  Netizens in combat:
> Conflict on the Internet in Indonesia. Asian Studies
> Review, 26(2).

> [...]

//
// This email is
// [ ] assumed public and may be blogged / forwarded.
// [X] assumed to be private, please ask before redistributing.
//
// Alexander C. Halavais
// Social Architect
// http://alex.halavais.net