[Air-L] Methods question

Denise N. Rall denrall at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 17 23:48:49 PST 2008

Derek -

Sally McMillan's review on measurements of
interactivity might help here.
McMillan, S.J. (2002).  Exploring Models of
Interactivity from Multiple
Research Traditions: Users, Documents, And Systems.
In L. Lievrouw and S. Livingston (Eds.), Handbook of
New Media (pp. 162-182).  London:  Sage.

You should review the voluminous work of Sheizaf
Rafaeli for how to determine various types of measures
of engagement and participation in CMC environments.
http://sheizaf.rafaeli.net/ >> Academic Publications

The GDOF group in Germany is brilliant
methodologically, this is the easiest citation I can
find, but they have many, many more:
Batinic, B., U.-D. Reips, et al., Eds. (2002). Online
Social Sciences. Seattle, Hogrefe & Huber.

I'm sure there's more but these could give you a good
start in previous methodological approaches to
comparing CMC/IRL activity(ies).

Cheers, Denise

Denise N. Rall, PhD
Southern Cross University, Lismore NSW 2480 AUSTRALIA
Tues: Room T2.17, +61 (0)2 6620 3577 Mobile 0438 233 344
http://www.scu.edu.au/schools/esm/staff/pages/drall/
Virtual member, Cybermetrics Group, University of Wolverhampton, UK
http://cybermetrics.wlv.ac.uk/index.html

www.yahoo7.com.au/y7mail