[Air-L] and now for *the dark side* of facebook

nativebuddha nativebuddha at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 04:24:12 PST 2008

> Facebook is a site that collects a lot of information in order to
> create profiles of individuals;
> ACCELL is a VC company that invested in Facebook;
> James Breyer is on the board of ACCELL;

Not quite what the article says. Rather

Thiel, Zuckerberg, and Beyer are on the board of Facebook.

Assumption =  Board's have influence over the products companies sell. Hence
Beyer has influence over Facebook.

That's a tighter argument. (Disputable, but tighter nonetheless.)

Beyond this, I'm struck by a between the lines bias towards Facebook (this
is directed towards the thread in general).

I'm not saying that Facebook is evil (Hodgkinson's claim), but his research
does have some validity. And value for its revealing the complexity of
social network products.

Are there any good academic articles on the political economy of Facebook,
or any other social networking products? Citations would be much
appreciated.

-robert