[Air-L] CFP - Computers, Freedom, & Privacy: Technology Policy '08

Michael Zimmer michael.zimmer at yale.edu
Thu Feb 28 07:36:25 PST 2008

Dear AoIR-ers:

Please distribute widely the following call for proposals for this
year's Computers, Freedom and Privacy conference.

-mz

-----
Michael Zimmer, PhD
Microsoft Fellow, Information Society Project
Yale Law School
e: michael.zimmer at yale.edu
w: http://michaelzimmer.org

-----------

COMPUTERS, FREEDOM, AND PRIVACY: TECHNOLOGY POLICY '08
http://cfp2008.org/
18th Annual CFP conference
May 20-23, 2008
Omni Hotel
New Haven, CT

CALL FOR PROPOSALS

This election year will be the first to address US technology policy
in the information age as part of our national debate. Candidates
have put forth positions about technology policy and have recognized
that it has its own set of economic, political, and social concerns.
In the areas of privacy, intellectual property, cybersecurity,
telecommunications, and freedom of speech, an increasing number of
issues once confined to experts now penetrate public conversation.
Our decisions about technology policy are being made at a time when
the architectures of our information and communication technologies
are still being built. Debate about these issues needs to be better-
informed in order for us to make policy choices in the public interest.

This year, the 18th annual Computers, Freedom, and Privacy conference
will focus on what constitutes technology policy. CFP: Technology
Policy '08 is an opportunity to help shape public debate on those
issues being made into laws and regulations and those technological
infrastructures being developed. The direction of our technology
policy impacts the choices we make about our national defense, our
civil liberties during wartime, the future of American education, our
national healthcare systems, and many other realms of policy
discussed more prominently on the election trail. Policies ranging
from data mining and wiretapping, to file-sharing and open access,
and e-voting to electronic medical records will be addressed by
expert panels of technologists, policymakers, business leaders, and
advocates.

Open participation is invited for proposals on panels, tutorials,
speaker suggestions, and birds of a feather sessions through the CFP:
Technology Policy '08 submission at http://www.cfp2008.org/submissions/.

Suggested topics for discussion include:

     * Information Privacy
     * Anonymity Online
     * Government Transparency
     * Voting Technology
     * Online Campaigning
     * Social Networks
     * Citizen Journalism
     * Cybercrime & Cyberterrorism
     * Digital Education
     * Copyright and Fair Use
     * Patent Reform
     * Open Access
     * P2P Networks
     * Information Policy and Free Trade
     * Media Concentration
     * Genes & Bioethics
     * Electronic Medical Records
     * Web Accessibility
     * Open Standards
     * Network Neutrality
     * High-Speed Internet Access Policy
     * Freedom of Information
     * Technology Policy Administration

Submission Deadlines:
Panel, Tutorial, and Speaker proposals: March 21, 2008.
Birds of a Feather Session (BoFs) proposals: April 21, 2008.

Panel, Tutorial, and Speaker proposals accepted by the Program
Committee will be notified by April 7, 2008.

Registration available online at http://www.regonline.com/Checkin.asp?
EventId=193762.