[Air-L] open-access is the future: boycott locked-down academic journals

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Fri Feb 8 13:13:39 PST 2008

Martin Garthwaite wrote:
> You're certainly not crazy, I currently have no plans for an academic career
> when I finish my PhD, but I would challenge the concept of free labour.
> Surely publishing papers in respected journals is an investment in your
> career. Quality of papers not quantity I'm guessing is the goal for most?

This assumes that quality and open-access are inconsistent.

Academics do not generally get paid for publishing papers in respected
journals.  Reviewers do not generally get paid for reviewing papers for
respected journals.  Both do get benefits, indirect but large.

The question before us is not "is it ok to get paid?"  The question is:
"Can we find sustainable models for the publication and distribution of
academic content that are also consistent with the ideals of free
distribution and open access."

I think the answer is not just yes, but a resounding yes.