[Air-L] Second Life real-time streaming presentation question

Jeremy Hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Wed Feb 27 14:57:07 PST 2008

In general terms, if you have not yet done this, doing it for a major
presentation is not a good place to start.  Good presentations and
online interaction takes quite a bit to pull off, I've been involved
with some of the biggest one location events in SL like the Creative
Commons transition, and the reason it was successful was because of
the preparedness.   I've done 8 or 10 in world/out of world situations
for major events.

as for locations, there are innumerable possible locations.  you could
probably borrow just about anyone's medical school location or other
material if you contacted them first.  but you'd need to know who,
what, where, when and how.

In short, many people think that it is easy to do this and it is, but
then again to do it very well, it is not that easy.  I'd suggest
contacting someone on the SL education list

  for assistance, there are many medical educators there that would be
happy to help you through the motions.

have
On Feb 27, 2008, at 3:58 PM, Jerald Block, MD wrote:

> Hi all-
>
> I am doing a presentation on Virtual Worlds for the annual American
> Psychiatric Association.  I am debating whether to do it using
> Second Life, in some fashion.  Would be a nice tie-in and would
> illustrate many of my points.
>
> One option might be to stream the live conference presentation into
> Second Life and then take questions from Real Life participants
> AND Avatars in VL.
>
> Anybody have any experience doing this?  Is it difficult?  Where
> does one get the "conference room" in 2nd Life?  I would welcome
> and advice or input.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jerald Block, MD

jeremy hunsinger
Information Ethics Fellow, Center for Information Policy Research,
School of Information Studies, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (www.cipr.uwm.edu
)

() ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail
/\ - against microsoft attachments

http://www.aoir.org The Association of Internet Researchers
http://www.stswiki.org/ stswiki
http://cfp.learning-inquiry.info/  LI-the journal