[Air-L] writers striking for internet payment?

Heidelberg, Chris Chris.Heidelberg at ssa.gov
Fri Jan 4 11:11:25 PST 2008

Stephanie:

I believe that the writers would be smart to develop their own deals
directly with Apple, Google, Microsoft, AT&T, Verizon, and Amazon. This
would enable them actually produce and write and control more of their
work and set the stage for future writers getting fees. The networks and
the studios are trying to get content distribution out of the hands of
Google and Apple especially because of the power of YouTube and iTunes.
Apple and Google could stream,market and create downloads of original
content on their platforms. Apple has not trotted out a social network
site, but I can see one coming now to support AppleTv sales and use.
Moreover, can you imagine all of the iPod owners and iTunes owners and
Mac owners with their own version of Facebook with Google ads and
YouTube video. All Apple and Google need is first rate content from
writers and independent producers.The new technology has evened out the
production field. I know because I am a producer/director/writer and I
work in the Washington area on national industrials, commercials with
Hollywood types in LA, and independent work nationally. I wrote about
this on my sites some time ago, but next week I will be writing a series
of articles because my research had been leading me to comment. Now that
the music industry is contesting your ability to rip DVDs after planting
root kits did not work and suing did not work, I believe the film
industry will follow this disgusting legal trend. It will have to take
Congressional action from enraged consumers because the courts are
bought and paid for on this issue after years of pro-industry political
appointees on the bench who seem to have forgotten who really owns the
PUBLIC AIRWAVES. The writers joining forces with the progressive and
innovative technology companies is a match made out of mutual necessity,
and both sides are smart (and often more principle-driven than money
driven).