[Air-L] With Friends Like Facebook ....

Jacob Kramer-Duffield jkd at email.unc.edu
Wed Jan 16 11:25:46 PST 2008

> However all that turns out - perhaps Niel Postman had it right in 1984: we
> are in love with the technologies of our enslavement ...
>
> Or, to be provocative, did the Matrix get it right: we're confined to a pod
> of virtual existence, with (more or less) nowhere to go?

Really, this is all a bit silly. Did you stop using Microsoft products
because Bill Gates is a big-time Republican? No, you stopped using
Microsoft products (or, I suppose didn't) because of their utility or
lack thereof. It's even more true for Facebook, as a website (albeit a
social hub of a website) rather than an OS or core program.

My take - Zuckerberg et al. are a bunch of very privileged kids who've
never had to work a real job in their lives (not that launching Facebook
was easy, but not traditional postgrad scutt-work), Thiel is a typically
wacky tech-libertarian (calling him a neocon is ridiculous) of the type
it's hard to avoid in any technology setting.

As to the article itself, I won't waste my energy getting annoyed at
every basic innaccuracy or whinge, but I'll highlight one:

"On Facebook, you can be free to be who you want to be,"

This is just beyond wrong - on Facebook you can be not necessarily
exactly who you /are/, but have to be something close enough to it that
your friends don't call BS.

Okay, one more:

"For my own part, I am going to retreat from the whole thing, remain as
unplugged as possible, and spend the time I save by not going on
Facebook doing something useful, such as reading books."

And that's the basic critique, isn't it? This guy doesn't need Facebook,
because he doesn't want or need to connect with other people any more
than he already does - indeed seems to want less human contact. And
that's his right. It's just a lot different from young people figuring
out how to navigate their social world, or us watching them do it. The
guy's a curmudgeon, pure and simple.
> Should we be thinking about pulling our profiles?
Only if you don't like being there, or aren't getting what you want or
need out of it.

jkd