[Air-L] Fair use analysis

burkx006 at umn.edu burkx006 at umn.edu
Sun Jan 20 05:19:24 PST 2008

Well, I dont want to bore the list, but briefly: the question of
commericality which you raise in two of the factors is pretty much either
irrelevant or tautological. The notion has been that if someone is taking
parts of a work, it must have value, and so the question then is whether a
functioning market exists for it. And courts tend to define the relevant
market as the market for licenses of the excerpt taken.

So the relevant questions on the fourth factor are first, whether there is
a ready mechanism to pay for the excerpts, to which I think the answer is
probably not; and then whether the taking was transformative, that is,
whether it provides something to the public different than the original
work(s). I'd say the answer here to the latter question is yes, which is
very nearly dispositive of the analysis as fair.

The broader message is that its virtually impossible for the average person
to have any sense of whether a given use is fair or not. Obscurity is the
real lynch pin in the system. If you get to make use of a work without
permission, its probably not because your guess about whether it was fair
or not was correct, its probably just because the copyright owner didn't
notice (or didnt care) what you were doing.

DLB