[Air-L] digital literacy - a syllabus

David M Silver dmsilver at usfca.edu
Mon Jan 28 06:04:03 PST 2008

hello Burcu!

> Hi David, thanks for posting your syllabus here. I myself just
> designed a course: mine is Introduction to Popular Culture, but
> mainly focuses on electronic media and internet studies readings,
> which is my research interest. Looking at yours, I have a question,
> how exactly are you using the Flickr account? What is the assignment
> for this? It seems intriguing, I may want to implement it in the
> future reincarnations of my class. Thanks.

well, each class is different so i try to do things differently each
semester.  but in the past, i have had a lot of success with the
following flickr assignment to get students started:
http://silverinsf.blogspot.com/2007/02/digital-journalism-flickr-project.html

(howard rheingold assigns a similar project, but has students work in
teams, in his class on participatory media at berkeley:
http://www.socialtext.net/pmca/index.cgi?flickr )

it's been my experience that students find it easier to first share
photos, then share blog posts. i want my students to feel comfortable
sharing their work - with me, with fellow students, with the world - and
i've found (for now at least; i'd love to hear what others have found)
that this process of sharing is easier done through images than words.

david silver
http://silverinsf.blogspot.com