[Air-L] Longitudinal qualitative analysis of CMC

Caroline Haythornthwaite haythorn at uiuc.edu
Thu Jan 31 06:37:55 PST 2008

See the longitudinal study I did with colleagues on an online learning
environment (2000, in JCMC). We used as a base much of the literature on group
processes, including group development over time. A bit more of a review on
that literature is also in a JALN piece from 2006.

Michelle Kazmer's work looks specifically at the group ending process -- the
'disengagement' from online groups. See her dissertation work or the paper in
NMS (2007).

 /Caroline

Haythornthwaite, C., Kazmer, M.M., Robins, J. & Shoemaker, S. (2000).
Community development among distance learners: Temporal and technological
dimensions. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 6(1).
http://www.ascusc.org/jcmc/vol6/issue1/haythornthwaite.html

Haythornthwaite, C. (February, 2006). Facilitating collaboration in online
learning. Journal of Asynchronous Learning, 10(1). http://www.sloan-
c.org/publications/jaln/index.asp

Kazmer, M. M. (2007). Beyond C U L8R: Disengaging from online social worlds.
New Media and Society, 9, 111-138.