[Air-L] anthropology is not a science?

Jankowski nickjan at xs4all.nl
Wed Jan 9 00:01:39 PST 2008

Dear Andrew:

Thanks very much for your considered reply on whether anthropology is
or is not a science. I agree, like you, that the topic is relevant to
this list, at least with regard to the intersection with Internet
research. Let me add a couple of caveats to your comments.

Whether a discipline is or is not a 'science' has been a concern for
many niches of specialization, and one with which many of us on this
list are familiar is the area of  communication and the media. Some
university departments, particularly in Europe, identify themselves
as concerned with 'Communication Science' and, in so doing, take a
stance on what constitutes suitable questions and methods to study
those questions. Other departments concentrate on what they term '
communication studies' or 'media studies', and these departments
usually embrace a broader set of scholarly concerns and modes of
study. Similar approaches are evident with regard to exploring the
Internet: there are (divisions of) departments dealing with 'Internet
Studies' and others prefer the label 'Internet Science' and the
implied scholarly focus and related research methodologies.

A parallel dichotomy is present in an area that I have been working,
sometimes called
e-science and sometimes termed - especially in the U.S. -
cyberinfrastructure. For a JCMC theme issue related to that
development (published about this time last year), we used the term
e-science and eventually came to regret employment of it because of
the constrictive and limiting associations. In the follow-up volume
to that theme issue, which we are now preparing, we use and argue for
a more embracing term, e-research, that is more amenable to
disciplines in the humanities and to disciplines in the social
sciences less 'tainted' by a positivistic approach to scholarship.
Ultimately, I argue in the introduction to that volume, it is
understanding achieved through a diversity of scholarly approaches
that is important rather than application of a particular set of
'scientific' procedures labeled the 'scientific method' that are all
too often deemed superior to qualitative or interpretative approaches
to scholarship.

A parallel argument could - I would say 'should' - be applied to
study of the Internet: understanding is fundamentally more important
than adherence to what may be considered science or the scientific
method, and such understanding is achieved through a variety of ways
of knowing, which most certainly includes anthropology.

Thanks again, Andrew, for your reflections.

Nick Jankowski
Visiting Fellow
Virtual Knowledge Studio for the Humanities and Social Sciences
Amsterdam, Netherlands
www.virtualknowledgestudio.nl