[Air-L] Longitudinal qualitative analysis of CMC

Caroline Haythornthwaite haythorn at uiuc.edu
Thu Jan 31 08:09:40 PST 2008

I've been alerted that the JCMC url below (the original one when the paper was
published) now goes to a spam site. It's better than the last time I made this
mistake, when it went to a pornographic site :( ... memo to self, update my own
URLs!

Here's the current URL for the Haythornthwaite et al paper:

http://jcmc.indiana.edu/vol6/issue1/haythornthwaite.html

/C

>Caroline Haythornthwaite wrote:
>> See the longitudinal study I did with colleagues on an online learning
>> environment (2000, in JCMC). We used as a base much of the literature on
group
>> processes, including group development over time. A bit more of a review
on
>> that literature is also in a JALN piece from 2006.
>>
>> Michelle Kazmer's work looks specifically at the group ending process --
the
>> 'disengagement' from online groups. See her dissertation work or the paper
in
>> NMS (2007).
>>
>>  /Caroline
>>
>> Haythornthwaite, C., Kazmer, M.M., Robins, J. & Shoemaker, S. (2000).
>> Community development among distance learners: Temporal and
technological
>> dimensions. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 6(1).
>> http://www.ascusc.org/jcmc/vol6/issue1/haythornthwaite.html
>>
>> Haythornthwaite, C. (February, 2006). Facilitating collaboration in online
>> learning. Journal of Asynchronous Learning, 10(1). http://www.sloan-
>> c.org/publications/jaln/index.asp
>>
>> Kazmer, M. M. (2007). Beyond C U L8R: Disengaging from online social
worlds.
>> New Media and Society, 9, 111-138.

Urbana-Champaign