[Air-L] WGA strike

Michael Baron webbaron at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 14:07:19 PST 2008

While, I do agree with Barry on the entitlements issue and find the strike
to be fully justifiable, to be honest i doubt it is going to be successful.
There are currently many Web writers who do not happen to be memebers of the
Writers Guild. Chances are they will be prepared to work for little money
just to "put their foot in" and get published. Unfortunately, the perception
of the Web writing as non-commercial still appears to be very strong in the
writers' community. Hopefully, this will turn around one day (and the strike
may make this day come sooner rather than later).

On 1/4/08, Barry Wellman <wellman at chass.utoronto.ca> wrote:

> 1. It's sad when the person criticizing the Writers Guild has grammatical
> trouble herself.
>
> 2. The logic is even sadder. As I understand it, she is saying the writers
>
> are not morally obligated to a reasonable share because they didn't back a
> tangentially related law 10 years ago. By the same logic, only workers who
> voted for Bill Clinton should be entitled to union protection.
>
> YMMV
> Barry Wellman
>
> S.D. Clark Professor of Sociology, FRSC              NetLab Director
> Centre for Urban & Community Studies           University of Toronto
> 455 Spadina Avenue          Room 418          Toronto Canada M5S 2G8
> http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman            fax:+1-416-978-7162
> Updating history:     http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php
>         Elvis wouldn't be singing "Return to Sender" these days

"My Body is my Temple"
"Be The Change You Want to See In The World." Gandhi