[Air-L] UPDATE: Glossary: new media & journalism

Charlie Balch charlie at balch.org
Sat Jan 5 07:51:26 PST 2008

Niels,
It looks like you are correctly casting a wide net. Here's a few more for
your consideration from someone who has more of a CIS than journalistic
lens:

Trolls,
Lurking,
Click-through,
Phishing,
Section 508,
Digital divide,
Chunking vs. continuous text,
Banner exchange,
Google Docs,
RSS,
Branding,
Blog,
iGoogle,
Artificial ad click counts,
Hover ads,
Popup ads,
Live banner,
News etymology,
Online advertising.

That was free association on my part and some of those might need some
explaining <GRIN>. Feel free to ask why I thought they should be on your
list.

There's also some literature on effective web page layout which was part of
the focus of my dissertation. Jakob Nielsen is a good place to start for web
design -- I think Jakob doesn't publish in traditional journals because he'd
rather earn money.

You might also consider having the class create a web area as a group and/or
individually where your students post/blog. I've not kept up with
journalistic web design but Mambo comes to mind.

Charlie Balch MEd, MBA, PhD