[Air-L] Religious Dimension of Sustainable Development

Luis Gutierrez LTG214B at verizon.net
Wed Jan 9 18:12:36 PST 2008

> Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 09:37:45 +1100 From: Jonathan Marshall
> <Jonathan.Marshall at uts.edu.au> Subject: Re: [Air-L] Religious
> Dimension of Sustainable Development To: air-l at listserv.aoir.org

Hello Jon and everyone,

Apologies for posting this to the list without further clarification. My
intent was simply to inquire if there is anyone in the AOIR who is doing
internet research on religious factors in sustainable development.

I am the editor of the e-newsletter.  As we all know, religion is a
complex and controversial topic.  I use "religion" in the general sense
of a personal relationship with God by anyone who believes (as I do)
that there is a God.  There are many religious traditions and many ways
to be "religious."  Spirituality may be a better term to use.  My lack
of clarity about what "religion" simply reflects the difficulty of
finding any consensus on what it means precisely for each person.

There is "religion" (or "spirituality") and there are religious
traditions that eventually become "religious institutions."  My thesis
is simply that these religious institutions have enormous influence on
many people, and such influence should be taken into account when
planning, monitoring, and evaluating international development projects
such as the UN "Millennium Development Goals."  But I cannot find
evidence that it is actually taken into account in any systematic
manner, and I was hoping someone here can point me to internet resources
on "religion & sustainable development."

With this, I have already told you more than I know.  Again, please
accept my apology for posting this to the listserv without adequate
explanation.  Hope we agree that ignorance is not a good excuse to
refrain from asking honest questions.

Jon, or anyone who thinks you can help me, please contact me off-list.

Best wishes for a good 2008,
Luis
LTG214B at verizon.net