[Air-L] Religious Dimension of Sustainable Development

dtoews at uwindsor.ca dtoews at uwindsor.ca
Thu Jan 10 10:58:46 PST 2008

I've been re-reading Baym's essay on "The Emergence of On-line Community"
(1998) and she helpfully breaks down, in a methdologically useful way,
some of the key factors that allow online communities to be stable (and
therefore significant).  I would propose that questions of online
community owe and important debt to the sociologists and anthropologists
of the classical era.  I think the classical question of the relationship
between religion and society is absolutely apropos of internet research
that is approached from the point of view of communication and sociology.
In "The Elementary Forms of the Religious Life" (1912) Durkheim held that
"it is unquestionable that a society has all that is necessary to arouse
the sensation of the divine in minds, merely by the power it has over
them".  He further argued that "collective sentiments can just as well
become incarnate in persons or formulae: some formulae are flags, while
there are persons, either real or mythical, who are symbols."  The study
of societies is the study of that which people attribute a 'sacred'
quality to and how they do this and why they do it in certain
circumstances rather than other 'profane' or ordinary circumstances.  A
key research question (for me at least) would then be, what rituals,
practices, emblems, and symbols, in each case of online activity, form a
set of 'sacred' conditions that acts as a centre which they then imagine
as the basic feature of their community? (BTW, just in case anyone takes
me for a conservative, I would add that the sacred is always the most
important and essential opening for the contestation of a society, and
indeed, without the sense of social seriousness it brings there would be
little reason to contest or resist anything.)
Dr. David Toews, PhD
Dept. of Sociology and Anthropology
University of Windsor, Canada

If you do not keep the multiplicity of