[Air-L] With Friends Like Facebook ....

smork at itu.dk smork at itu.dk
Wed Jan 16 12:38:21 PST 2008

@Ray: Indeed Ray, it is a very ethical question. I tried to raise this in
relation to second life as a teaching environment and studying web2.0
technologies more generally at the last AoIR conf. I use anthropological
methods in my research – interviews and participant observation (both
online/offline) – and I find it extremely difficult to distance myself
from these types of software, not that one necessarily has to do that, but
distance have often proved to be a good thing when you write your
ethnography, after being immersed completely in it for awhile.
Facebook, Second Life and most parts of the internet are very divergent
and manifold subjects, but it is becoming more and more clear that they
are closely tied to capitalism, and that I think poses an ethical question
for us. Think for instance of our usual historic idea of what manifests a
good university and teaching environment; these ideas are deeply rooted in
European history and are very very far away of the kind of world second
life and Facebook offers to us.
@Kathleen: thanks for drawing attention to this fact, I did not know and
find it rather disturbing that it is not possible to quit completely

Soeren Moerk
ITU Copenhagen, PhD Candidate