[Air-L] What is web culture?

Conor Schaefer conor.schaefer at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 06:13:43 PST 2008

Regarding your second and third questions, I don't think there's a very
big difference between setting boundaries and shaping culture. The first
thing that comes to mind for me is imagery of pouring eggs into a frying
pan to make an omelette. (Skip lunch much?) All the pan does is provide
boundaries for the otherwise boundlessly sloshing egg fluid, but thereby
the pan is shaping the form the egg fluid takes. And then the egg congeals.

It's a clumsy analogy, sure, particularly because it implies that ICT
really does shape interaction in a very hard way, but I think it's
appropriate given the context.

Your first question I found most intriguing. I do think that all
interaction affects the shape of culture (by modifying its boundaries).
We can look at culture from a societal perspective, documenting that way
groups of people interact and analyzing their topics of discussion. We
can also look at the other end of the spectrum, assessing what
individual people in some of those groups experience in terms of
interaction and information exchange, and how this modifies their own
palette of preferences, and their willingness to table new discussions
on certain topics.

Conor