[Air-L] digital literacy - a syllabus

David M Silver dmsilver at usfca.edu
Fri Jan 25 10:58:11 PST 2008

hello everyone!

many of us internet researchers are also internet teachers which means
many of us design, tweak, and retool syllabi. sometimes we even come up
with a course that really makes us excited.

i'd like to share my syllabus for an undergraduate, honors-level seminar
i'm teaching this spring called "digital literacy." it's a course i've
been dreaming about for 2 or 3 years and it's a thrill to finally teach it!

http://silverinsf.blogspot.com/2008/01/digital-literacy-spring-2008.html

essentially, my students and i will be asking the question, "what is
literacy during a digital age?" to help us along, we have ten guest
speakers, including some folks who frequent AoIR.

at this point, the idea is that in addition to reading and class
discussions, we'll do plenty of stuff online (blog, flickr, RSS, audio
slideshows, perhaps podcasts and video) but we'll also do plenty of
stuff offline, including a four day field trip to an organic farm in
humboldt county. put another way, the idea is to log on and be
reflective and creative but also to log off and be reflective and creative.

anyways, sometimes i wish we'd share more of our teaching and our ideas
about teaching on this list - perhaps this is some kind of contribution
towards that direction.

have a great weekend,

david silver
http://silverinsf.blogspot.com