[Air-L] I Get By With A Little Help From My Friends ... | Article on Study of Campus Facebook Use

Gerry Mckiernan gerrymck at iastate.edu
Mon Jan 28 10:19:51 PST 2008

***APOLOGIES FOR RECEIPT OF DUPLICATE POSTINGS***
Colleagues/

I have learned of A Full Report of The Study on Campus Facebook Use previously profiled in the _Friends_  blog [It was the item about  the ECAR Symposium presentation] [Thanks! Nicole]:

The Report/Paper:

"The Benefits of Facebook 'Friends': Social Capital and College Students' Use of Online Social Network Sites"

Nicole B. Ellison / Charles Steinfield / Cliff Lampe

>>>From The Conclusion<<<

Online social network sites may play a role different from that described in early literature on virtual communities. Online interactions do not necessarily remove people from their offline world but ***may indeed be used to support relationships and keep people in contact***, even when life changes move them away from each other. In addition to helping student populations, this ***use of technology could support a variety of populations***, including ***professional researchers, neighborhood and community members, employees of companies***, or others who benefit from maintained ties.

A Link to The Paper is Available at:

[ http://onlinesocialnetworks.blogspot.com/2008/01/social-capital-and-college-students-use.html ]

Recommended Reading for the Last Week of January 2008 [:-)

Regards,

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan
Associate Professor
Science and Technology Librarian
Iowa State University Library
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu

There is Nothing More Powerful Than  An Idea Whose Time Has Come
Victor Hugo
[ http://www.blogger.com/profile/09093368136660604490 ]

Iowa: Where the Tall Corn Flows and the (North)West Wind Blows ...
[ http://www.alternativeenergyblogs.blogspot.com/ ]