[Air-L] history of asterisks

Brenda Danet brenda.danet at yale.edu
Mon Jan 28 14:17:14 PST 2008

Hi Jonna:

I think you're right that asterisks on IRC have something to do with
the history of computers and programming. I would look up the Jargon
File (many online versions), a huge compendium on hacker language and
other practices, or the print version, Eric Raymond, The New Hackers'
Dictionary (3rd ed. MIT Press, 1996), for excellent documentation
about hacker practices. Just google Jargon File and you'll find lots of links.

For early (1991) examples of uses of asterisks and other forms of
play with typography in IRC, see (if I may) chap. 3 of my Cyberpl at y:
Communicating Online (Berg, 2001).

Brenda

Brenda Danet
Emerita, Sociology & Communication, Hebrew Univ. of Jerusalem
Research Affiliate, Anthropology, Yale University
Home pages: http://pluto.mscc.huji.ac.il/~msdanet/
New book: The Multilingual Internet: Language, Culture and Communication Online
(co-edited with Susan C. Herring, Oxford Univ. Press, 2007)