[Air-L] Longitudinal qualitative analysis of CMC

Ben Spigel spigel.1 at osu.edu
Thu Jan 31 06:58:36 PST 2008

As a follow up to Randall's post about Communities of Practice (CoPs):

There's a thread of CoP research that is focused on Virtual
Communities of Practice. This is explicitly  CoPs that are formed and
take place over the internet. For a quick cite on that, take a look at
"Virtual Communities of Practice: Explaining Different Effects in Two
Organizational Structures" Canadian Journal of Communication Vol 30
pp. 367-382 (2005).

If you do use a CoP framework, I'd suggest checking out Ash Amin and
Patrick Cohendent's book "Architectures of Knowledge." It presents
some great arguments for the existence of virtual communities of
practice.

Cheers,

Ben Spigel
Department of Geography