[Air-L] previous research on dalits online?

Mia Lövheim mia.lovheim at teol.uu.se
Wed Jan 9 23:42:32 PST 2008

Greetings to all list-members,

I am a lecturer in sociologi of religion and media, religion and
culture at Uppsala university, Sweden. I will this semester be
supervising a master thesis on
"Ambedkar as an icon of dalit-assertion: Post-Ambedkar discourses and
representations on the Internet". The focus is to study how the
dalit-movement (a marginalised social group in India) construct and
strengthen their identity through relating themselves and their claims
to the central figure of the movement Dr Amdebkar. The intention of my
student is further to study both iconic representations of Amdebkar and
transformations of his symbolic meaning in the process.

I would be very grateful for any information of previous research in
this area, that is the dalit-movement and uses of the internet. Also
other studies of the role of the internet in hindu minority movements
with political and religious claims would be helpful of course, or on
the construction of religious leaders as icons for such groups through
the internet.

Thank you for your attention, and I look forward to what you may have
to share on this subject!

sincerely,

Mia Lövheim, TD
Sociology of Religion