[Air-L] Scientific Proof

Charlie Balch charlie at balch.org
Tue Jan 8 07:01:49 PST 2008

Barry,
As a potential doctor of philosophy I encourage you to have your own views.
My view is that, other than in fields like math which create their own
realities, you can't get scientific "proof" of anything. Science is an
attempt to understand phenomena with a degree of confidence. In the real
world it is not possible to prove anything. I think it was Einstein who said
"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain,
and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."

Qualitative studies tend to have less "proof" than quantitative studies as
much of the interpretation of the data is through the lens of the
investigators' personality. This does not invalidate qualitative results
but, as you point out, the reader should consider the possibility that they
do not share the same assumptions as the researcher. One interpretation of
Godel's incompleteness theorem is that no system can understand itself. I.E.
Humans cannot understand humans.

All the best,

Charlie Balch MEd, MBA, PHD