[Air-L] With Friends Like Facebook ....

Kathleen Fitzpatrick kfitzpatrick at pomona.edu
Wed Jan 16 10:27:02 PST 2008

On the question of pulling one's Facebook profile, I would also add
that there's a real technological overdetermination that hasn't yet
been fully explored:  As a student of mine discovered last semester
while writing a term paper about "death" on Facebook (in quotation
marks because he was both looking at the ongoing existence of profiles
of users who have passed away and at the status of profiles that users
have "killed"), a deactivated profile is never really removed from the
site.  In fact, if you attempt to deactivate your Facebook account,
you get the following bits of info:

> Note: Even after you deactivate, your friends can still invite you
> to events, tag you in photos, or ask you to join groups. If you opt
> out, you will NOT receive these email invitations and notifications
> from your friends.
> You can reactivate your account at any time by logging in with your
> email and password.

Which is to say that your profile remains on the network even if you
pull it -- shambling on in a zombie-like state, perhaps, accruing but
failing to respond to pokes and wall posts, but still there,
nonetheless....

--K.