[Air-L] What is web culture?

elw at stderr.org elw at stderr.org
Fri Jan 18 04:44:56 PST 2008

> As I understand it, "web culture" is a misnomer. The term seems to have
> been created to describe that slightly different way things seem to
> occur online when compared to related offline experiences, but I think
> this is all barking up the wrong tree.
>
> Cyberspace (in this instance, AKA the Web, the Internet) is a virtual
> world extension; it's an extension of our real world. Saying that there
> is a unique culture in cyberspace is the same as claiming that there is
> a unique culture in your toolshed.

Great thoughts, Greg.

To riff off of this a little...

Web 'culture' serves as a counterpoint to the normal operation of our
culture.

Through the web - through its technical affordances, whatever - we see
things about our own f2f, day to day culture that we might not otherwise
be aware of.

Certain principles of our 'culture' are less inviolate and more flexible
than we typically admit; certain things about the web or digital life

(lolcats is a great example, i think... everyone loves kitties, mostly,
and making them say mocking or offensive things is a *hilarious* display
of our common, warped sense of humor... does anyone seriously *not* enjoy
the occasional lolcat?)

happen to provide convenient contrasts against our normal expectations of
others, their behavior, the nature of interpersonal communication, etc.

This makes for great fun, or for great irritation.  Depending on our
individual level of mental flexibility.

[Side track:  an interesting predecessor sense of this can be gleaned from
thinking about 'hacker culture' in the US vs. Europe in the late 80s /
early 90s;  in the US, things have had a tinge of libertarian idealism and
'rights'

(MIT, and the greater Boston area, right in the middle
throughout... Boston probably has the strongest set of 'commons' events of
any point on this half of the globe...)

very much tied to our national history and identity;  in, say, Germany,
strong practical and engineering influences led to a population that truly
loved and celebrated the Amiga, loved Linux early on, and built the KDE
desktop out of essentially dreams and big ideas... amazing stuff, those
Germans.

Culture definitely in the mix - at least at the level of stereotypes -
producing interesting reflections in the medium of computing and its
artifacts.]

--elijah