[Air-L] On academic uses of academic listservs

Bill Herman bherman at asc.upenn.edu
Fri Jan 18 14:33:12 PST 2008

I see this as both a legal and an ethical issue. As regards the ethics:
Props for sparking a discussion, but I think the air-l policy statement
is dispositive (and good advice for email generally). It reads, in part:

------
ETIQUETTE

Keep in mind that anything you send to air-l automatically goes to
all subscribers – please keep posts on-topic for the list. Also
remember when posting to the list that air-l is a public forum and
that your words will be available to everyone subscribed to the list
and placed in a public archive. Messages sent via email can easily be
reproduced and circulated beyond their originally intended audience,
and neither the list manager, the association's officers, nor the
server’s host are responsible for consequences arising from list
messages being re-distributed.
------
See: http://aoir.org/?q=node/5

Legally: I'm no attorney, but this is really a copyright issue, and as
such, I'd be entirely comfortable arguing that copyright is no obstacle
to almost any conceivable academic use of an academic listserv, at least
not in the US. I know much less about other jurisdictions, but based on
my much thinner knowledge of fair dealing, I'd predict a similar
outcome, at least in most Commonwealth nations. (Those of you from
outside the US: please excuse my jurisdictional Americentrism. If you
think your courts would find differently, how so?)

In any case, if you use listserv material for academic work in the US,
you're almost certainly fine. US Code, Title 17, Section 107, reads, in
part:

------
... the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by
reproduction ... for purposes such as criticism, comment, news
reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use),
scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In
determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a
fair use the factors to be considered shall include —

(1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is
of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

(2) the nature of the copyrighted work;

(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the
copyrighted work as a whole; and

(4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the
copyrighted work.
------
See: http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#107

Each of these factors favors a finding of fair use here. The intended
use is for nonprofit scholarship and education. The copyrighted work
being quoted is something (a post to a free listserv) with absolutely no
commercial value. (Posts have intellectual value, but we've already
given them away.) The proposed project would reproduce mere fractions of
each post. Finally, there is no concern about the effect on the
marketability of something with no commercial value.

I would argue that one could even include a full post if that's
important to illustrate a point. (This is especially true for a short post.)

Things are somewhat different when the quoted and quoting works are of a
commercial nature--see Harper & Row v. Nation Enters., 471 U.S. 539
(1985). But virtually any academic use of listserv posts is almost
certainly OK--at least in the US.

Cheers,

Bill

Bill D. Herman