[Air-L] Blog Archiving Technology Query / Facebook Tracking

elw at stderr.org elw at stderr.org
Fri Jan 4 19:23:00 PST 2008

> 1) Blog Archiving Platforms:??
>
> We're currently getting ready for another Canadian federal election,
> which we're hoping to track electronically at the Infoscape Lab here in
> Toronto: www.infoscapelab.ca.  We're trying to find a good blog archiver
> that imports/exports complete RSS files with full text entries into a
> database format that's easily interoperable with MSAccess or Excel (and
> can be automated).  For example, RSS Owl allows people to export single
> entries into XML, but not aggregated entries for all blogs that mention
> a candidate like "Stephen Harper" with full text (as far as we know...).

The most difficult question here is, "where are you going to get a list of
all blogs mentioning X from?", rather than the technology.  Sometimes the
hard part really IS the human element :-)

If you can produce a list of rss feeds, grabbing them periodically and
injecting them into a database is quite straightforward... the tools in
that space are pretty sound.  [And I'd be happy to dump snips of code at
you to do it...]

--elijah