[Air-L] Diary exercise for classes

Caroline Haythornthwaite haythorn at uiuc.edu
Sat Jan 5 09:41:51 PST 2008

** Ready made class assignment on media use **

An invitation to join our in-class diary study on media use

Lori Kendall and I, along with graduate students Gail Taylor, Sara Thompson,
and Bradley Bond, are collecting diary data from classes. Since diaries require a
fair bit of work from participants, we have created a class assignment that
requires completion of a 3 day diary about media use, with submission of the
diary to the study as optional. Instructors devise their own separate assignment
based on the diary for their students submission for a grade.

We are looking for volunteers to join the study and use our diary protocol --
approved by our institutional review board -- as part of their class. Our
experience to date has been that the exercise is remarkably good for all
participants to reflect on their media use. So, we find it both a good pedagogical
procedure as well as a good research tool.

We have forms available for use -- instructions, a diary template to complete,
and permission forms -- and procedures for diary submission to us.  When
students hand in diaries to us for the research, we keep that information
confidential and do not release that information to the instructor. We can also
let you know how we has used this diary in conjunction with class assignments.

If you are interested, please contact me off list and we can discuss the use of
this diary exercise. We are keen to get as many classes as possible using this
protocol and joining the study, so please do not feel shy about asking!

/Caroline Haythornthwaite

Caroline Haythornthwaite
Associate Professor
Graduate School of Library and Information Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
501 East Daniel St., Champaign IL 61820