[Air-L] have I discovered a new disease?

danah boyd aoir.z3z at danah.org
Sat Jan 19 13:45:33 PST 2008

The palm rest is for when you're resting your palms when you're
resting, not for resting your palms while typing.  Proper ergonomics
actually dictate that you should never have your palms rested while
typing.  The best way to check if you're being ergonomically correct
is to look at your joints.  From your shoulders to the tip segment of
your fingers, each joint should be successively lower.  In other
words, your wrists should not be higher from the ground than your
elbows and your knuckles shouldn't be higher up than your wrists.
This is why proper ergonomics requires keyboard rests (or true laptops
with external monitors) cuz your segments should each be going down
and your eyes should be seeing the monitor at 1/3 down the screen.

I'm sure you're not the only one who spends 10+ hours a day on the
computer, but you're damn lucky to not have carpal tunnel issues if
you are indeed resting your wrists that way.  Having dealt with CTS
for 14 years, I don't wish it on anyone, so I'd encourage you (and
your students) to look into structuring their typing in an ergonomic
way.  Then, it doesn't matter how rough the palm rest is.  <grin>

{{hug}}

danah