[Air-L] digital literacy - a syllabus

Burcu Bakioglu palefire at palefirer.com
Fri Jan 25 11:06:06 PST 2008

Hi David, thanks for posting your syllabus here. I myself just designed a
course: mine is Introduction to Popular Culture, but mainly focuses on
electronic media and internet studies readings, which is my research
interest. Looking at yours, I have a question, how exactly are you using the
Flickr account? What is the assignment for this? It seems intriguing, I may
want to implement it in the future reincarnations of my class. Thanks.

Burcu

On Jan 25, 2008 1:58 PM, David M Silver <dmsilver at usfca.edu> wrote:

> hello everyone!
>
> many of us internet researchers are also internet teachers which means
> many of us design, tweak, and retool syllabi. sometimes we even come up
> with a course that really makes us excited.
>
> i'd like to share my syllabus for an undergraduate, honors-level seminar
> i'm teaching this spring called "digital literacy." it's a course i've
> been dreaming about for 2 or 3 years and it's a thrill to finally teach
> it!
>
> http://silverinsf.blogspot.com/2008/01/digital-literacy-spring-2008.html
>
> essentially, my students and i will be asking the question, "what is
> literacy during a digital age?" to help us along, we have ten guest
> speakers, including some folks who frequent AoIR.
>
> at this point, the idea is that in addition to reading and class
> discussions, we'll do plenty of stuff online (blog, flickr, RSS, audio
> slideshows, perhaps podcasts and video) but we'll also do plenty of
> stuff offline, including a four day field trip to an organic farm in
> humboldt county. put another way, the idea is to log on and be
> reflective and creative but also to log off and be reflective and
> creative.
>
> anyways, sometimes i wish we'd share more of our teaching and our ideas
> about teaching on this list - perhaps this is some kind of contribution
> towards that direction.
>
> have a great weekend,
>
> david silver
> http://silverinsf.blogspot.com

Thanks,</burcu>

Burcu S. Bakioglu

Web Developer/Content Editor
Option Six
www.optionsix.com
Improving performance through e-learning

Ph.D. Candidate, Indiana University

http://www.palefirer.com
http://palefirer.com/blog/
Skype: PaleFireR
AIM: PaleFireR

--
P.A.L.E.F.I.R.E.
Positronic  Artificial Lifeform Engineered for Fighting, Infiltration, and