[Air-L] MLK Day reflection

Mark Marino markcmarino at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 21:45:02 PST 2008

Quick update:

Recently, Wesch published a post addressing the video I made.  See this
post:
http://mediatedcultures.net/ksudigg/?p=133

After commenting briefly on my video (which he embeds in the post), Wesch
posts images from a scene that he had to cut from the video.  First he sets
up the scene:

several students had ideas emerge right on the spot [of the video
> recording]. Whenever they had an idea they would write it down on a piece of
> paper and hold it up for the camera. While we were reflecting on the size of
> the room and the anonymity this creates among students, one student held up
> the following sign:

A white (looking) woman holds up a sign that reads, "I am more than just a
face."

This shot is followed by an African American (looking) woman holding a sign
that reads, "There is more to me than just MY RACE!"

Wesch explains that this scene

>  "did not make the final cut - not because it wasn't worth showing - but
> because it was so important that it overshadowed some of the other issues we
> were trying to raise."

He also adds,

> It was a powerful moment, and the sign itself defies any simple reading.

I agree that it is a powerful moment, although I have conflicting feelings
about this YouTube deleted scene.  Here is the evidence that at least one of
the students was thinking in terms of racial issues (or a critique of racial
readings).  However, when this critique is raised (literally and
figuratively) by one, if not the only one, of the African-American students
in the video seems to underscore some of my initial concerns.   Somehow I
feel that this scene overshadows the video even in its exclusion.

Perhaps I am falling into a trap that Wesch was trying to avoid altogether
by drawing too much attention to this aspect of the video.  Perhaps, on the
other hand, the video has a racial component that can't be deleted.

Thoughts?
Mark

--
Writing Program