[Air-L] Religious Dimension of Sustainable Development

Christian Fuchs christian.fuchs at sbg.ac.at
Wed Jan 9 04:25:09 PST 2008

Thanks to those people who have been bringing up these philosophy of
science questions, I think they are very important for the grounding of
Internet Research.

Charles Ess in my view has given a great overview of how positivistic
knowledge that focuses on reductionism and the natural sciences has been
challenged during the 20th century. In my view another important
influence on the challenge of reductionism and positivism has been
self-organization theory and systems thinking, because they stress
emergent properties and are transdisciplinary in character, which can
overall help advance the role of philosophy, social sciences, etc.

I think the important outcome is that philosophy, social sciences,
ethics, etc. are taken more seriously today than in former times.

The main concern that I have about contemporary positivistic approaches
is that they only focuses on how reality is, not as it could be, not on
the inherent potentials that could be developed by agency, it is missing
societal goals, question about totality, normativity, etc. - and through
tsuch a focus on positivism academic thinking becomes uncritical. For
Internet Research, I think this means whether one wants to strictly
focus on empirical analyses of Internet usage, or furthermore considers
critical theory, ethics, philosophy, etc. in addition as important
groundworks. This then means if we should only ask the question "How
does technology change society?", or also normative questions like "In
which society do we want to live?", "How can sustainability be brought
about?", "What are dimensions of "good ICT-society" (Gunilla Bradley)?
"What is the role of critical theory in informational capitalism"? "Are
there alternatives to the capitalist information society?" "Which ones?"
Etc.
My personal opinion is that the second type of questions are very
fundamental for Internet Research.

There is also one development brought about by the post-positivistic
science that troubles me: This broadening of knowledge has also resulted
in an increasing importance of esoteric, religious, spiritual, mystic
thinking in science. Whereas I would argue, that metaphysics are needed
in the form of an immanent transcendental view on society and in the
form of dialectical thinking, I think that focusing on discussions of
the role of God in the world, on mystic forces - as is frequently done
today - is really a dangerous development because it brings about
irrationality, "false consciousness", and manipulation, and that hence
such esoterical forms of metaphysics are dispensable.

I wouldn't define religion as a focus on world-views, it is more than
that, always involves a belief in God or another invisible force located
outside of the material world and outside of society. I think the
troubling aspect of religious studies and esoterical knowledge is that
the existence of their object of study is already questionable.

Hence I think it would be better to argue that generally speaking not
religion,  but a discussion of world views and philosophical issues is
important for philosophy of science discussions, generally speaking and
for Internet Research in particular.

Christian

--
_____________________________
Univ.Ass. Dr. Christian Fuchs
christian.fuchs at sbg.ac.at
Phone +43 662 8044 4823
Fax   +43 662 6389 4800
Information-Society-Technology:
http://fuchs.icts.sbg.ac.at
http://www.icts.uni-salzburg.at/fuchs/
Managing Editor of tripleC - peer reviewed open access
online journal for the foundations of information science:
http://triplec.uti.at
New Book: Fuchs, Christian. 2008. Internet and Society: Social Theory in the Information Age. New York: Routledge. 408 Pages.
http://fuchs.icts.sbg.ac.at/i&s.html
http://www.routledge.com/shopping_cart/products/product_detail.asp?sku=&isbn=9780415961325&pc=
PETITION: http://www.austria4arigona.at