[Air-L] What is web culture?

Mary-Helen Ward mhward at usyd.edu.au
Thu Jan 17 23:51:40 PST 2008

Hmmm. I disagree with this. I think there are human interactions on the web
that have created new aspects of human interaction: new artefacts, new
rituals, new relationships, new shared expressions of language, new
viewpoints and ways of doing things. And I'm not talking about LOLcats.
There are cultures on the Web that I am and have been part of that have no
offline parallel in their reach and complexity, because it is the sharing of
people from different cultures in a space of common interest that creates
new... well ... cultures. (Sorry, but I don't have another word for what has
been created).

If I had a toolshed it wouldn't have any people interacting in it; the web
does.

M-H