[Air-L] Metaphors in Technology

Jason Stuart jts0803odon at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 06:03:00 PDT 2008

"warXing" (wardriving, warjogging, wargaming,....)
sniffing, sniffer
stumble
open (as in source)
for that matter, source or resource
bugs/fix
beta ("It's gone beta!")
locked, unlocked
checked in, checked out
sync
import/export
ability/disability
cookies. Everybody loves cookies.
bookmark
inherit
point (as in floating point, as in versions)
dot
map
conflict/resolve
trunk/branch
build

Mnemonic devices/good acronyms? TRBL, LIFO, AIM, POST

"crackberry"

deprecated:
handshake

Could "quad" be a reference to new "core" (there's one!) Intel chips? If so,
then "duo" too. Also, "two" and "oh." As in "version two point oh" instead
of "new release" or "second major release." My Firefox was somehow "Firefox
two point oh" across all builds and revisions until "Firefox 3 beta" and now
somehow I just have Firefox 3, or Firefox, again. Until I have a problem,
and then I have to refer to the version. Specifically. Help! Oh yeah there's
a dropdown menu for that. So "help."

Jason