[Air-L] etiquette for reusing or reposting blog posts

Kim De Vries cuuixsilver at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 05:39:14 PDT 2008

It seems that you are asking a different question than those addressed so
far in the replies.  If I have this right, you are asking whether people
think it's ok for a person to post an entry on a personal blog and then also
use it as a contribution to another blog.

I think this probably would be up to the group blog owners and probably also
depends on whether both your personal blog and the second blog are in some
sense professional; publications for which you might receive some kind of
credit.  Kind of like when students ask me if they can submit the same work
for two classes.  ;-)

--My answer is usually that the other teach has to agree and we must
negotiate some extra work.

On the other hand, I and many use personal blogs to publish notes, drafts,
or documents we want to make open-access, so it's a pretty fuzzy area.

Are you looking for advice for yourself, or are you surveying us to get a
sense of general opinion?

Cheers,

Kim

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 2:33 PM, Lokman Tsui <lokman.tsui at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have been wondering about what the social online norms are for
> reusing or reposting blog posts across different blogs.
> Let's say you have a personal blog and also contribute to a group blog
> - under what circumstance would it be okay to reuse a post you wrote
> for one blog for the other blog, assuming the post is relevant for
> both blogs?
>
> When do you integrally copy the post, and when do you write a summary
> linking to the original post? Are there other ways to deal with this?
> Is this something considered not done at all?
>
> What are people's experiences and feelings on this?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Best,
> Lokman

Kim De Vries