[Air-L] etiquette for reusing or reposting blog posts

Meryl Krieger meryl.krieger at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 07:33:13 PDT 2008

I suppose I've always taken the view that anything I post online is public
so please take this as coloring my take on the subject. I agree that the
ethics issue is the biggest consideration, and anyone aggregating
*should*get the permission of the author before connecting up feeds.
that being
said, if you want to keep something private, don't put it online, or else
indicate that it's private in the blog, either by restricting the audience
or by posting a notification.

I also consider this from the perspective of an author - I post some of my
non-academic writing on my blog. When I post something complete there is
always a stated request that I be notified before someone passes my work
along. there's the point that if you don't ask people to be considerate it
might not occur to them to do so.

Just weighing in here! This is a fun thread.

Best regards to all,

Meryl Krieger

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 8:39 AM, Kim De Vries <cuuixsilver at gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems that you are asking a different question than those addressed so
> far in the replies.  If I have this right, you are asking whether people
> think it's ok for a person to post an entry on a personal blog and then
> also
> use it as a contribution to another blog.
>
> I think this probably would be up to the group blog owners and probably
> also
> depends on whether both your personal blog and the second blog are in some
> sense professional; publications for which you might receive some kind of
> credit.  Kind of like when students ask me if they can submit the same work
> for two classes.  ;-)
>
> --My answer is usually that the other teach has to agree and we must
> negotiate some extra work.
>
> On the other hand, I and many use personal blogs to publish notes, drafts,
> or documents we want to make open-access, so it's a pretty fuzzy area.
>
> Are you looking for advice for yourself, or are you surveying us to get a
> sense of general opinion?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Kim
>
> On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 2:33 PM, Lokman Tsui <lokman.tsui at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have been wondering about what the social online norms are for
> > reusing or reposting blog posts across different blogs.
> > Let's say you have a personal blog and also contribute to a group blog
> > - under what circumstance would it be okay to reuse a post you wrote
> > for one blog for the other blog, assuming the post is relevant for
> > both blogs?
> >
> > When do you integrally copy the post, and when do you write a summary
> > linking to the original post? Are there other ways to deal with this?
> > Is this something considered not done at all?
> >
> > What are people's experiences and feelings on this?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Best,
> > Lokman

> > http://www.aoir.org/