[Air-L] nerd culture and new media

Kim De Vries cuuixsilver at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 09:47:04 PDT 2008

I wonder if this is also connected to the growing popularity of steampunk
style, which is an interesting blend of literary and scientific cultures.
--There was even a story in the NYTimes on it!

And hackers have had sort of an edgy cool, even before the Matrix.  ;-)

Kim

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 12:04 PM, Mark Chen <markchen at u.washington.edu>
wrote:

> Henry Jenkins posted about MC Lars' song "Ahab" and the nerdcore movement
> on
> his blog recently. Maybe he'd be a good place to start?
>
> mark
>
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 8:35 AM, Sarita Yardi <sarita.yardi at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know of any recent research about how new media relates to
> > nerd culture stereotypes? There are a large number of very recent
> > books and news articles about this topic, and some claim that being
> > nerdy is going mainstream. Presumably they mean it's not necessarily
> > defined by computers and A/V and pocket protectors anymore, but video
> > games and MMORPG's and MySpacers and other activities that may break
> > the traditional white male nerd stereotype. Computer science is still
> > as nerdy as ever, a perceived by kids, but do we know if new media
> > studies or cultural studies indicates different trends in other areas?
> > Speculation welcome, even if you don't know of any research being done on
> > it.
> >
> > Thanks very much,
> > Sarita
> >
> > --
> > Human-Centered Computing
> > College of Computing, Georgia Institute of Technology
> > www.cc.gatech.edu/~yardi <http://www.cc.gatech.edu/%7Eyardi> <
> http://www.cc.gatech.edu/%7Eyardi>

> > http://www.aoir.org/
> >

> --
> Mark Chen | PhD Candidate | Games researcher/designer | Tech instructor
> College of Education - Ed Tech | University of Washington - Seattle
> My games research and life in academia blog: markdangerchen.net

Kim De Vries

http://else-if-then.blogspot.com