[Air-L] _Morning Becomes Electric: Post-Modern Scholarly Information Access, Organization, and Navigatio

Gerry Mckiernan gerrymck at iastate.edu
Mon Jun 9 13:39:04 PDT 2008

Friends/

Nearly a Decade Ago I Speculated About The Future of Scholarly "Information Access, Organization, and Navigation"

Well It's The Future and It's About Time That The Predictions Happened  [:-)] ...

The Section on  Navigation Can be Viewed As ***Sensory Navigation***, The Thread of My [Other] Recent Postings.

/Gerry

_Abstract_

Scholars are facing unprecedented Information Overload in their attempts to identify potentially relevant information sources. Electronic networks have not only expedited traditional forms of publishing but created new formal and informal opportunities for communication. Conventional methods of information management are reaching the limits of their effectiveness. To enhance access to information in the coming decades, systems that fully utilize the digital nature of a growing number of scholarly resources must be implemented.

_Table of Contents_
Scholarly Communication
Scholarly publishing
E-Communication
_Indexing and Abstracting Services_
Biology
Engineering
Geology
Mathematics
Medicine
_Citation Indexing and Indexes_
Access
E-Journals
E-Articles
_Transformational Communication_
Intelligent Software Agents
Information Overload
Custom-Configured Institutional E-Journals
Just-in-Time Electronic Collections
_Organization_
Conventional
Automated
Navigation
Information Visualization
Auditory Browsing
Haptic Interaction
Virtual Environments
_"In The Beginning ... "_
References

Full Text and Links Available At

[ http://scholarship20.blogspot.com/2008/06/morning-becomes-electric-post-modern.html ]

OR

[ http://tinyurl.com/6f6e74 ]

Comments Are Most Welcome On The Posting

Enjoy!

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan
Associate Professor
Science and Technology Librarian
Iowa State University Library
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu

There is Nothing More Powerful Than An Idea Whose Time Has Come
Victor Hugo
[ http://www.blogger.com/profile/09093368136660604490 ]

Iowa: Where the Tall Corn Flows and the (North)West Wind Blows
[ http://alternativeenergyblogs.blogspot.com/ ]