[Air-L] CFP: Special issue: Culture of Virtual Worlds, Journal of Virtual Worlds Research

Mia Consalvo consalvo at ohio.edu
Wed Jun 25 08:25:42 PDT 2008

FYI... please email me offlist if you have questions about submitting, and
feel free to forward as appropriate. Thanks!

CALL FOR PAPERS
Journal of Virtual Worlds Research
Special Issue: Culture of Virtual Worlds
Deadline: September 30, 2008
Publication Date: November 20, 2008

Guest Editors
Mark Bell, Indiana University
Mia Consalvo, Ohio University

* jvwresearch.org *

Early users of virtual worlds trumpeted their potential to bring together
like-minded groups to create community, to encourage social activism, and to
explore facets of identity. Over the past 20 years, we have seen virtual
worlds develop from text-based to graphical, and from 2D to 3D interactive
spaces. Some spaces have focused primarily on game-related activities, from
MUD through Ultima Online and World of Warcraft, while others have
concentrated on social aspects of being, allowing users to define their own
goals, and often create many parts of the spaces they inhabit--from
LambdaMoo to The Palace and Second Life. Virtual worlds have also become big
business at the same time as some worlds remain resolutely tied to different
goals. Yet what of the cultures that have grown up in, around, and through
virtual worlds in this same time period? What do we know about that culture,
or more accurately, those cultures and how to define them?

Individuals, groups, and corporations are exploring the potentials of
virtual worlds, and what is created in that process says as much about our
everyday lives as it does about our times spent online. But what do we know?
Because of their richly detailed spaces, virtual worlds tend to encourage
specific sorts of participants and players, along with expectations about
behavior and culture. Yet at the same time, we cannot know how participants
will create a livable space, develop a unique culture, until it happens. How
is that process occurring in today's virtual worlds? What do we know about
past virtual worlds to guide us? We are slowly learning about how identity
shifts and mutates online, yet isn't as free-floating as early theorists
claimed. What of users who are in game-centric versus non-game centric
places--how does game versus non-game make a difference in who uses the
space, how, and why? Likewise, we now see virtual worlds with transnational
user bases. How does that impact the culture, the creation, and the
experience of virtual worlds. What happens when virtual worlds emerge, when
they expand quickly, and when they die, either slowly or suddenly? What
happens to users and how do they make sense of those experiences? How do
developers play a role in managing all those expectations, and how much
*can* they actually control? These questions are only the tip of iceberg,
just as today's virtual worlds are at the forefront of emergent design of 3D
spaces.

This special issue of the Journal of Virtual Worlds Research is dedicated to
exploring the issue of culture in virtual worlds. We welcome articles from
academic researchers and practitioners in areas such as communications,
sociology, psychology, anthropology, information systems, political science,
game studies and cultural studies.

Topics of interest include (but not limited to):
• Definitions of Virtual Cultures
• Ethnographies of Virtual Worlds
• Social mechanics and networking in Virtual worlds
• Historical development of Virtual Worlds
• Identity
• Differing goals of play versus non-play centric spaces
• Emergent practices, player-generated content, activities
• Dynamics of economies
• "Serious" uses of Virtual Worlds
• Transnational game spaces, player groups

Guidelines and Deadlines
We welcome submissions in the form of essays, papers, original research,
interactive online exhibits with accompanying detailed descriptions, and
other forms of scholarship.
For specific submission instructions visit: http://jvwresearch.org.

Deadline for Submission: September 30, 2008
Publication: November 29, 2008

For further information contact:

Mark Bell, Indiana U, typewriter at gmail.com
Mia Consalvo, Ohio U, consalvo at ohio.edu

About the Journal
The Journal of Virtual Worlds Research is an online, open access academic
journal that adheres to the highest standards of peer review and engages
established and emerging scholars from around the world. The Journal of
Virtual Worlds Research is a transdisciplinary journal that engages a wide
spectrum of scholarship and welcomes contributions from the many disciplines
and approaches that intersect virtual worlds research.

Editorial Board
Edward Castronova, Indiana University, United States
James Paul Gee, Arizona State University, United States
Steve Jones, University of Illinois at Chicago, United States
Jorge Peña, University of Texas at Austin, United States
Joseph Straubhaar, University of Texas at Austin, United States
Kathleen Tyner, University of Texas at Austin, United States
Natalie Wood, Saint Joseph's University, United States

Editor
Jeremiah Spence, University of Texas at Austin, United States

Associate Editors
Mark W. Bell, Indiana University, United States
Sun Sun LIM, National U. of Singapore, Singapore
Suely Fragoso, Universidade do Vale do Rio do Sinos/Unisinos, Brazil
Joe Sanchez, University of Texas at Austin, United States
Amanda Salomon, Swinburne University of Technology, Australia
Henry Segerman, University of Texas at Austin, United States
Yesha Y. Sivan, Shenkar College & Metaverse Labs, Israel
Stephanie Smith, NASA JSC Learning Technologies, United States
Caja Thimm, University of Bonn, Germany
Mia Consalvo, Ph.D.
School of Media Arts & Studies
(formerly the School of Telecommunications)
Ohio University
9 South College Street
Athens, Ohio 45701
USA