[Air-L] Metaphors in Technology

Gordon Joly gordon.joly at pobox.com
Tue Jun 10 05:17:45 PDT 2008

At 09:37 +0100 9/6/08, Cameron Adams wrote:
>Gordon,
>
>Metaphors in technology go way back.  One very important one is
>William Harvey describing the heart as a pump.  This was not only
>the first sense of what the heart was actually doing, but could only
>be done through metaphor (ok, its backwards, tech metaphor for
>non-tech) .  Then an interesting one is that the radio project was
>almost scrapped by Marconi because it was a lousy wireless telegraph
>(no one to one communication).  Then someone came up with the
>broadcast metaphor (from agriculture).  In terms of computer tech,
>how about the information superhighway.  This leads to more effort
>being done to make modems (the cars) faster and the lines (roads)
>smoother and more efficient.  This is at the expense (to some
>degree) of other possibilities such as information packaging and
>network structure.

Not directly connected to metaphor perhaps, but some of the above
ideas are discussed in Brian Winston's book.

"Media, Technology and Society: A History - From the Printing Press
to the Superhighway" Brian Winston, Routledge (1998). ISBN 041514230X

Also, from the original posting:-

>>  PowerPoint using "slides"

This suggested to me that a visit "The Cognitive Style of PowerPoint"
by Edward Tufte would be worthwhile.

Regards,

Gordo

--