[Air-L] Email Analysis Software

Lois Ann Scheidt lscheidt at indiana.edu
Wed Jun 11 09:04:07 PDT 2008

My 2-cents -

Like Gus I have used Atlas.ti with some of my research.  However I'm
now switching to Nvivo.  Nvivo 8 allows for coding of multimedia
objects, something only Atlas.ti did previously, and I am told by the
company that version 9 will - in all likelihood - allow for the native
coding of html pages.  In version 8 you can code html pages but they
have to be converted to jpegs first.

So with all of that creating a more level playing field, I am switching
because Nvivo and QSR have much better customer support.  I've asked
them a variety of questions about their products and every
communication from them was timely and of an appropriate customer
support tone...not something I can say about Atlas.ti which refused to
work on my former XP machine and their final customer support message
was and I quote..."Buy a new computer" after which they - I actually
think it's just one person - stopped responding to emails.

Nvivo has a 30 day trial before purchase and while their student price
is more than Atlas.ti, in this case I'm sure I will be getting what I
am paying for.

Lois Ann Scheidt

Doctoral Student - School of Library and Information Science, Indiana
University, Bloomington IN USA

Adjunct Instructor - School of Informatics, IUPUI, Indianapolis IN USA and
IUPUC, Columbus IN USA

Webpage:  http://www.loisscheidt.com
Blog:  http://www.professional-lurker.com