[Air-L] CAT Developments

Stuart Shulman stuart.shulman at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 15:20:15 PDT 2008

There have been some significant developments with the Coding Analysis
Toolkit (CAT). The system is becoming steadily more robust and we have
over 300 beta testers with user accounts. The system is currently free
and will, in the next year, be released as Open Source under a General
Public License. Anyone can set up a web-based account and load raw or
ATLAS.ti-coded data to take advantage of the reliability and validity
tools, as well as the coding module for raw data.

http://www.qdap.pitt.edu/cat.htm

Although I am moving to UMass Amherst to join the political science
department in the fall, the lab I created (QDAP) will continue here
and I will retain some sort of active affiliation. We are one of the
only fee-for-service coding labs in North America (if you know of
others, please let me know). Our coders logged over 5,900 coding hours
this fiscal year and our transcriptionists completed 2,500 hours of
transcription. QDAP is housed in a University-wide research center and
services a wide range of NIH-, NIMH-, NSF-, and DARPA-funded PIs. The
QDAP model is not for everyone, but I can say we have a growing list
of happy customers, especially those working in the mixed methods
tradition.

http://www.qdap.pitt.edu/testimonials.htm

~Stu

Dr. Stuart W. Shulman
Associate Professor
Director, Sara Fine Institute
http://www.sis.pitt.edu/~fineinst/
School of Information Sciences
Director, Qualitative Data Analysis Program
University Center for Social and Urban Research
http://www.qdap.pitt.edu/
University of Pittsburgh
121 University Place, Suite 600
Pittsburgh, PA 15260
412.624.3776 (v) 412.624.4810 (f)
http://shulman.ucsur.pitt.edu
Editor, Journal of Information Technology and Politics
http://www.jitp.net

Neighborhood Team Leader
Squirrel Hill - Point Breeze, PA
Obama for America