[Air-L] CFR for Flow Conference, October 2008

Tuszynski, Stephanie stuszyn at UTNet.UToledo.Edu
Mon Jun 2 08:19:39 PDT 2008

Greetings everyone-

I saw a number of you at the first Flow conference in Austin back in 2006. The CFR for this year's conference is finally up. The deadline is June 15th, which is very short notice, I know. But this conference isn't a traditional paper-format one. The entire conference is roundtable discussions on topics, intended to encourage more discussion and interaction than you get from a more formal atmosphere. I found the first conference very engaging and interesting myself.

The conference home page is here:  http://flowtv.org/?page_id=1332

I'm not C&Ping the entire call because there are several pages of descriptions of the areas. You can find them at the page: http://flowtv.org/?page_id=1335   The call begins with this:

Conference Date: October 9-11, 2008 at the University of Texas at Austin

Deadline to submit a response: June 15, 2008

Flow Conference 2008 will resemble traditional academic meetings in name only: There will be no panels, no papers, and no plenary sessions. Instead, the event will feature a series of roundtables, each organized around a compelling question. Respondents are asked to submit a brief abstract addressing one of the roundtable questions listed below. We especially encourage responses that address issues of race, class, gender, sexuality, age, and ability, as well as international perspectives.

To submit a response send a 150-word abstract to flowconference2008 at gmail.com by June 15, 2008. In the subject line of the email please put the title of the roundtable to which you are responding. Be sure to also include your full name, e-mail address, and affiliation in the body of the email.

Please submit a response to only one roundtable topic. However, we imagine that some individuals will have interest in several roundtable discussions and thus difficulty choosing between them. We want to accommodate as many people and their preferences as possible. Therefore, it would be helpful for us to know about those individuals who are willing to participate in another roundtable if too many responses are submitted for their original question.

If this applies to you, please submit one response to one roundtable question AND let us know two other roundtable questions in which you’re interested. If the original question to which you respond produces too many responses, we will invite you to submit a response to one of the other questions.

We will inform participants of acceptance via e-mail by July 15, 2008. Upon acceptance, respondents will be asked to expand their abstract to a 600-800 word position paper, due by September 15, 2008.

The complete CFR is here:
http://flowtv.org/?page_id=1335

Cheers.

Stephanie Tuszynski