[Air-L] Air-L Digest, Vol 47, Issue 1

lilly nguyen lillynguyen at ucla.edu
Mon Jun 2 10:45:02 PDT 2008

On Jun 2, 2008, at 10:37 AM, Robin Reid wrote:

>  Too often for my
> taste, work on new media and media convergence (including Henry
> Jenkin's
> which is incredibly important and informed my class in major ways)
> ignores issues of race and gender.  Chun's work is incredible.

This is totally true. If interested, Lisa Nakamura's work has focused
on race representations in new media environments. Her book
Cybertypes is fantastic. Also, at last year's AOIR conference, she
gave a wonderful talk that was a kind of political economy of race
representation, look at racial representations in WoW in light of
digital sweatshop labor. It was really insightful.

-lilly

lilly nguyen
phd student | dept. of information studies | ucla
aim: deuxlits