[Air-L] privacy and protection

Mark Marino markcmarino at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 23:30:47 PDT 2008

Hi, all,

a colleague of mine told me that a student of hers wants to embark on
some research on a politically sensitive issue.

She wants to ask some questions that shouldn't be asked to people who
shouldn't be telling (at least on the record).  (She is a member of
the group she'd be studying) The student is worried that even asking
the questions online might endanger her status or the lives of those
she wants to interview and survey.

Any recommendation on how this student might conduct this research safely?

I had suggested she might use her blog to let people know about the
study, but she would need a blog that couldn't be traced to her.

Someone has suggested IP-masking, but I'm not sure if this is the
complete solution.  It also doesn't nec. protect her participants.
Another person said, keeping your identity private is difficult only
to the extent that you believe someone else is trying to discover it.
(I understand the comment, but hope to recommend some practical
measures.)

Any recommendations (on or off list) are welcome.

Thank you,
Mark Marino

--
Writing Program