[Air-L] Text~Tone(sm): Auditory Highlighting/Rating of Text

Gerry Mckiernan gerrymck at iastate.edu
Mon Jun 9 12:40:27 PDT 2008

Friends/

Not Only Is The World Not Black&White, It Is Not Just A Carousel of Color, Nor Haptic

Humans Are MultiModal Creatures With MultiModal Minds

Here Within I Propose The Development and Implementation of Technology That Would Allow Authors/Readers to Highlight Text With Varying Degrees of Sound.

SOUND
Wikipedia:Sound is vibration transmitted through a solid, liquid, or gas; particularly, sound means those vibrations composed of frequencies capable of being detected by ears.

Using Other/Related Audio/Auditory Technologies Readers Would be Able To Hear That Range of Tones Layered Over The Text Within A Corpus And/Or Substitute And/Or Supplement An Author's Audio/Auditory Layer

Such Tones Could Be Used to Denote Another Dimension Of The Text OR Denote Relative Importance.

THINK That This Is FarFetched? Not Really. Nearly A Decade Ago I Began to Explore Auditory Browsing Interaction in Web and non-Web Databases:

_The NextWAVe(sm)_

Thoughts About The Proposal? Please Comment on The Posting At

[ http://scholarship20.blogspot.com/20-08/06/texttonesm.html ]

OR

[ http://tinyurl.com/53vmxn ]

BTW: A Link to _The NextWAve(sm)_ is Also Available ...

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan
Associate Professor
Science and Technology Librarian
Iowa State University Library
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu

There is Nothing More Powerful Than An Idea Whose Time Has Come
Victor Hugo
[ http://www.blogger.com/profile/09093368136660604490 ]

Iowa: Where the Tall Corn Flows and the (North)West Wind Blows
[ http://alternativeenergyblogs.blogspot.com/ ]